|Head Coach||Takuma Padilla|
|Asst. Coach||Taylor Smith|
Junior Legion Staff
|Head Coach||Nate Sickmann|
|Asst. Coach||Jonny Houston|
Hello PL Baseball players and families,
My name is Taylor Smith and I am one of the PLHS Varsity assistant coaches as well as the Program Coordinator for Prior Lake Legion Baseball, the high school summer baseball program in Prior Lake. I have worked with the high school and Legion programs in various capacities since 2010. I am reaching out today to inform you about Prior Lake Legion Baseball program and update you on our plans and timeline for Summer 2021.
- Our program is designed primarily for current sophomores, current juniors and current seniors (this year that would mean the classes of 2021, 2022 and 2023).
- As of this moment, we are planning on fielding two teams this summer: a Senior Legion team, which we simply refer to as “Legion”, traditionally made up of primarily current juniors and seniors playing at a Varsity competition level and a Junior Legion team, traditionally made up of primarily current sophomores playing at a 10th grade competition level. There is also the possibility of being double-rostered, meaning the player would participate primarily with one team but would be eligible to play for both teams as needed throughout the season depending on team need for a particular game or tournament.
- Takuma Padilla (PLHS 10th grade coach) will be the Legion Head Coach and I will be assisting him. Nate Sickmann (PLHS 9th grade coach) will be the Junior Legion Head Coach with Jon Houston (2014 PLHS Grad and current PL Mudcat) assisting him. These are the same staffs that we had for the 2020 season.
- Scheduling is currently in the works and not yet finalized but both teams will play approximately a 20-game regular-season schedule including two weekend tournaments, beginning in June. The Junior Legion season will begin shortly after the lower-level high school season ends, typically around the beginning of June. The Legion season will begin following the completion of the PLHS Varsity playoffs, typically around mid-June. The majority of regular-season games will be on weeknights with the exception of the tournaments. Both the Legion and Junior Legion teams will have their own Sub-State playoffs (similar to sections during the high school season) beginning in late July and potentially continuing into August depending on how far they advance (State, Regionals, Nationals). Specifics on those playoffs and full schedules will be shared at a later date. Note: This timeline is subject to change depending on the status of the high school season and the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
- The Legion season is a chance to play the game you love alongside the players you grew up playing with, an opportunity to build on the spring season you had and/or work toward the next season, refining your skills and perhaps learning new ones.
- For those who make the “Legion” team, Prior Lake is thrilled to be a pool-play host site for the 96-team Gopher Classic July 9-11. The pool winner moves on to the single-elimination-round July 12-13. The Gopher Classic is the largest Legion tournament in the country to my knowledge and attracts top-tier teams from across the country. Every season, the kids and coaches have a blast and Gopher Classic is generally a highlight regardless of the outcome. From a player perspective, the games are consistently attended by college scouts from all levels and we have had players noticed or offered scholarships based on performances that weekend in prior seasons. In my opinion, the Gopher Classic is THE TOURNAMENT of the summer.
- Tryouts for the Prior Lake Legion Baseball program are typically a single-day tryout held on a weekend in May. The exact date and time will be decided and shared at a later date.
- Players must choose between playing Legion baseball and playing on a club team during the summer. They cannot do both at the same time. This decision was made a number of years ago after a number of players were missing games due to schedule conflicts and pitchers unavailable because they pitched for their respective club teams.
- Registration is expected to open in early to mid-February after schedule details and costs are finalized. Exact player fees/costs are still being determined but will undoubtedly be very competitive to other area baseball options. That information will be emailed to you as well as posted to this webpage when available.
- We will also include a summer questionnaire for all PLHS baseball players to fill out regardless of if they plan to play Legion baseball or not.
- Current Seniors (Class of 2021) will also have the ability to express if they would have an interest in playing town ball in Prior Lake with the Jays or Mudcats.
As a PL Grad and district resident myself, I believe there is truly something special about putting on the PL with the same people you grew up playing with and the Legion program is a way we hope to continue that from the spring into the summer. We are trying to help players grow and improve on the field to win games, succeed in tournaments, go to state etc. but also build relationships and memories that will last a lifetime.
Updated information, the summer questionnaire and Legion registration will be sent to you and posted on this webpage in early to mid-February.
If you have any questions or concerns about the Prior Lake Legion program, feel free to email me at email@example.com.
Hope to see many of you on the field and at the ballpark in Prior Lake both this spring and summer!
Prior Lake will be a host site for pool-play of the 2021 Gopher Classic tournament, the largest legion tournament in the country with 96 teams from across North America. We are excited to host teams from MN, WI, NE and SD in our pool. The full schedule can be seen at the @pllegionbball Twitter page. Further details and updates regarding the 2021 Legion season will be listed on this webpage and on Twitter in Spring of 2021 or as things become clearer. That information will also be shared with PLHS families via email when it becomes available.
If you have program-related questions, please contact Program Coordinator Taylor Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have team/player-related questions, please contact the respective head coach: Senior Legion Head Coach Takuma Padilla at email@example.com or Junior Legion Head Coach Nate Sickmann at firstname.lastname@example.org
COVID-19 Self-Check Form – Please complete for EACH Senior Team and Junior Team home game you participate or attend in Prior Lake.
2020 Prior Lake Lakers Senior Team (19U/18U) Roster *Senior Team is comprised of 2020 and 2021 Grads.
2020 Prior Lake Lakers Junior Team (17U/16U) Roster *Junior Team is comprised of 2022 Grads.